This medicine is a combination medicine used for treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). It is a fixed dose combination of two antiretroviral drugs-lamivudine and zidovudine. The combination of the two drugs has a stronger and more sustained effect than using either drug alone. This medicine is available with doctor’s prescription. Combivir tablet contains 150mg lamivudine and 300mg zidovudine in one tablet and are available in 60 tablets in 1 bottle and 120 tablets in 1 dose pack.
The active substances in Combivir- lamivudine and zidovudine, are NRTIs or nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors and work by blocking the activity of transcriptase which is an enzyme produced by HIV which infects the cells and produces more viruses. When Combivir is taken in combination with at least one other antiviral medicine helps in reducing the amount of HIV in blood and keeps it at low level. This medicine does not cure HIV infection or AIDS but delays the damage to immune system and development of infections related to AIDS.
How to take Combivir
Combivir should be taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Do not alter the dosage without consulting your doctor and take the medicine for entire length of time period prescribed for.
It can be taken with or without food.
Usual adult dose for HIV infection is 1 tablet orally twice a day, generally taken for 28 days but the duration and dosage may vary from person to person depending on the severity of the infection, age, sex and weight of the patient.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. There may be certain side effects of the medicine like hives; swellings of face, lips etc, trouble breathing, low WBC counts, low RBCs, nausea, loss of sleep and appetite, rapid heartbeat or any other symptom may be seen. If any symptom turns serious immediately call your doctor and take medical help.
- If you are allergic to any medicine then inform your doctor before hand. If you are already taking any medicine then inform doctor before taking Combivir so as to avoid any adverse reaction.
- If you have or had in past any disease like that of liver, kidney, pancreas disorder, hepatitis C or any other illness then inform your doctor about it.
- This medicine may cause a serious condition called lactic acidosis. If you get any symptoms of muscle weakness, numbness, trouble breathing, dizziness then immediately call the doctor.
- Doctor should be consulted if you are pregnant or breast feeding before taking the medicine.
- Patient should be advised to avoid things that can spread HIV to other people like they should not be sharing needles or injections, not to share personal items like toothbrushes, razor blades etc. do not have unprotected sex. Do not breast feed or any other such information.
- Special care must be taken when medicine is given to children and elderly.
- Keep out of reach of children.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.