Fexofenadine drug is an over the counter medication that is used for the treatment of seasonal allergies including hives. Compared to other anti-allergic medicines, it is known to cause less drowsiness, but helps in treating wide varieties of allergic symptoms. Ranging from runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, itchy skin, throat and itchy throat, it is useful in controlling the symptoms. However, it cannot cure allergy. It is available in the doses of 30mg, 60mg and 180mg in both tablets and oral solutions.
The active ingredient contained in Allegra is Fexofenadine that belongs to category of antihistamines. It works by stopping the effects of histamine because it blocks the receptor of histamine known as H1 receptor. It is histamine that is responsible for causing the allergic symptoms. If the drug is taken exactly as prescribed, it works effectively. Continue taking the medicine even if the symptoms go away.
How to take the Medicine
Make sure that you take Fexofenadine exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Excess or lesser amount of dose can cause reactions.
It is better to take the drug with a full glass of water instead of juice or milk. Shake the oral solution well before taking. The doctor will prescribe the exact dose as per the type of infection, sex, age and weight. However, the general dose is 60mg to be taken twice daily or 180mg to be taken once daily. The suspension form of this medicine is used on children below six years.
Make sure that you do not skin any dose. However, if you overdose, get in touch with your doctor. On the other hand, if you miss any dose, take it as soon as you remember, but prevent clubbing of two doses.
Some of the common side effects might include joint aches, nausea, and cough, headache, itching, breathing difficulty or swelling of facial parts. However, if these symptoms persist, you should report to your doctor immediately.
There are some important things that you should know about the medicine before taking it. Here is a list of the precautions:
- If you are hypersensitive to any medicine, do not forget to inform your doctor. Even if, you are taking any herbal medicine, diet supplements or over the counter medicine, you should let your doctor know about it in order to avoid any possible interactions of drugs.
- Serious medical illnesses if the heart, kidney or liver should be informed to the doctor before starting the dose of Fexofenadine.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, consult your doctor.
- Consuming alcohol might cause drowsiness.
- Elderly people and children might have to take more precautions before taking the medicine.
- The drug should always be taken under medical supervision.
- Make sure to store it at room temperature away from moisture and sunlight.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.