Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic which is mainly used to treat bacterial infections.
Intake this medicine as prescribed by your doctor, while this medicine is generally given into a vein of the patient for a period of time. If you miss any dose, call your doctor immediately to know what to do.
Chloramphenicol Side Effects
- Maybe there might be some rare Chloramphenicol side effects, but some people suffer from deadly side effects while taking this drug. If you find out any of the following signs or symptoms then immediately tell your doctor or get the medical assistance right away.
- There might be signs of an allergic reaction such as rash, itching, hives, swollen, blistered or peeling skin with or without fever. You might also experience tightness in the throat or chest, trouble in breathing, swallowing as well as talking. Swelling of face, lips, tongue, mouth and throat.
- Signs of various infections like fever, bad sore throat, ear, cough, fever, chills, sinus pain, change in the color of sputum, mouth sores, wound that is not healing as well as pain with passing urine.
- Signs of blood like throwing up blood, blood in coughing, blood in the urine, red or black stools, any bleeding that is very bad or you are not able to stop, vaginal bleeding which is abnormal as well as bleeding from the gums.
- You might start feeling tired or weak and have bad dizziness.
- You start feeling confused and mood changes very frequently.
- Change in your eyesight or a burning and tingling that is not at all normal.
- When you are taking antibiotics, it is very common to have diarrhea. There are rare chances that a severe form of diarrhea known as C diff-associated diarrhea (CDAD) may occur. Many times, it has also led to deadly bowel problems like colitis. Without first checking with your doctor, don’t try to treat diarrhea. In case you have cramps in your stomach, loose, watery or bloody stools, call your doctor immediately to take the right action.
If your doctor has prescribed this medicine to you, then he must be aware of all the possible drug interactions and must be monitored for you. There are total of 316 drugs that interact with Chloramphenicol like:
19 major drug interactions
281 moderate drug interactions
16 minor drug interactions
Therefore, it is always recommended to inform your doctor about all the products you use before taking this medicine. Prepare the complete list of your medications and discuss it with your doctor, while you can also discuss health problems with the doctor.
Warnings and Precautions of Chloramphenicol
With chloramphenicol, deadly and very bad blood problems have happened sometimes. This may result in causing a great chance of getting an infection, slow healing as well as bleeding problems. If you are allergic to chloramphenicol or with any of the other ingredients that are contained in this drug then don’t take the chloramphenicol IV and Chloromycetin. Blood problems have occurred after both long as well as short term use of this medicine. While taking this chloramphenicol medicine, you need to have your blood work checked. Also, avoid using this medicine during breastfeeding.
Chloramphenicol MOA (Mechanism of Action)
This medicine is bacteriostatic by inhibiting protein synthesis. Chloramphenicol tablets work by preventing the protein chain elongation by hindering the peptidyl transferase activity of the bacterial ribosome. It helps in preventing the peptide bond formation by particularly binding to A2451 and A2452 residues in the 23S rRNA of the 50S ribosomal subunit.
The classification of Chloramphenicol is a semisynthetic, broad-spectrum antibiotic which is attained from Streptomyces venequelae with primarily bacteriostatic activity. Chloramphenicol diffuses between the bacterial cell wall and then reversibly binds to the bacterial 50S ribosomal subunit.
All the things you need to tell your doctor before you take this medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any part of the chloramphenicol or chloramphenicol itself.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, food or any other substance, while you also need to tell about the signs of your allergy you had like a rash, itching, cough, swelling of face, lips, and shortness of breath or any other signs.
- If you are suffering from bone marrow disease or with low blood cell counts then tell your doctor.
- If you are consuming some drugs that can increase the chance of blood problems, it is advised to confirm your doctor if you are not sure.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any drugs or suffering from health problems because it is very vital to check whether chloramphenicol is safe to take with all the drugs you are taking or health problems you are having.
- Without checking with your doctor, do not stop, start or change the dose of any drugs.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.