what is Amlodipine used for
This is a prescription drug, prescribed for treatment of hypertension and for angina or chest pain. Amlodipine helps lowering blood pressure in body and with it helps reducing certain abnormalities of heart condition like stroke, heart attack etc. It is also used to treat coronary artery disease (CAD) in patients without heart failure and certain chest pain from CAD like stress induced angina. When taken regularly it can control angina but does not stop chest pain once it has begun. It can be prescribed by your doctor for any other medical condition too. This medicine is available in 2.5mg, 5mg and 10mg tablet forms.
The active ingredient in Norvasc is amlodipine besylate. Amlodipine belongs to calcium channel blockers group of medicines. This medicine works by blocking the flow of calcium into the muscles along the walls of blood vessels and heart muscles, thus relaxes and widens these muscles and improves blood flow which brings down the blood pressure. When the medicine is taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor, for entire prescribed period and at regular and evenly spaced out intervals it works more efficiently and gives better and fast results.
How to take Amlodipine
This medicine is taken orally once a day, with or without food.
Dosage depends on the severity of disease a person is suffering from and also on age, sex and weight of the person. Usually starting dose for an adult is 5mg, which can be gradually increased by the doctor after monitoring the patient regularly. So the dose should be taken under medical supervision always.
Do not stop taking or skip any dose. If you miss any dose then take it as soon as you remember but do not take any two doses together. In case of overdose immediately take medical help without any delay.
There may be certain side effects of this medicine like headache, nausea, dizziness, abdominal pain, flushing, fatigue, palpitations, muscle cramps, blurred vision, difficult breathing or any other. If any symptom persists or becomes severe immediately consult your doctor and take medical help.
- When starting on any new medicine read the prescription label thoroughly and follow doctor’ advice exactly.
- If you are suffering from any disease of heart, liver, kidney or any other then inform doctor before taking Amlodipine.
- If you are hypersensitive to any medicine then inform doctor. Before taking any other medicine along with Amlodipine ask your doctor first so as to avoid any adverse interaction between the two medicines.
- This medicine should be given to children and elderly strictly under medical supervision. Generally it is not recommended for children below 6 years of age.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding then consult your doctor before taking Amlodipine.
- You may need to go in for certain blood pressure tests while taking the medicine.
- Along with medicine the patient should also follow proper diet, exercise and try to control blood pressure.
- Store the medicine at room temperature and away from direct sunlight and moisture.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.