Zerit (Stavudine) - Medical Facts You Should Know
Stavudine is used for the treatment of HIV infections. It is this HIV that is responsible for the Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Zerit is the brand name under which is it sold and Stavudine is its generic name.
It is an antiviral drug which is responsible for the prevention of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from multiplying in your body. Zerit is not a cure for HIV AIDS.
Jerome Horwitz is responsible for bringing this drug into existence. It was approved by the FDA on June 24, 1994.
How to use Zerit?
It is always advisable to take Zerit under medical supervision. Age and weight are the primary factors in determining the dosage amount. Hence take exact amount as prescribed by the doctor.
Zerit is available in three forms: tablet, oral suspension/liquid and capsule. Take the tablet with a full glass of water. Any other drink may also be used. It can be taken with or without meals. When you take oral suspension, ensure that you measure the dosage accurately using the measuring cup that is sold along with it.
Direct intake of capsule will be quite effective. But if you have difficulty in swallowing it, then break the capsule into two, mix the beads with yogurt and have it. Ensure that you do not crush the beads.
HIV/ AIDS is usually treated in combination with different drugs. Hence, you may take any other medicines regularly along with Zerit. You may also need to test your blood periodically.
Do not take extra doses in order to catch up with the missed ones.
Zerit may be stored away from heat and moisture, at room temperature. The oral suspension needs to be refrigerated. It is always safe to throw away any unused medication after 30 days.
What Precautions do I need to take?
• Zerit is not recommended for persons suffering from pancreatitis, kidney diseases or liver diseases.
• The drug may cause lactic acidosis in a pregnant woman. Hence, a visit to the doctor is mandatory to avoid further complications.
• Inform your doctor about all the medications you take. It may interfere with Zerit.
• Women who are HIV positive should not breastfeed their babies as the virus can pass through breast milk to the baby and infect them with the virus.
• Do not consume alcohol during the entire medication course.
• Avoid having unprotected sex and sharing needles.
Benefits of using Zerit
• The most critical benefit is that this drug inhibits the growth of virus in HIV infected person and hence, it is literally saving lives.
• It is easily available both from online and offline pharmacies.
• It is economically priced making it easy to use it over long periods.