Crestor (Rosuvastatin) – Medical Facts You Should Know
Rosuvastatin belongs to the statin family of medicines. It is used for the treatment of high cholesterol level in the blood and thus helps in reducing the risk of heart-related problems.
Shionogi and Company Limited are responsible for inventing this drug and AstraZeneca brought this medicine into world market. It was approved by FDA on August 12, 2003. It is famous under trade name Crestor all over the world.
There are two kinds of cholesterol produced in our body: the LDL (also referred to as ‘bad’) and the HDL (also referred to as ‘good’). The LDL deposits inside the arteries and thus the risk of heart related problems increases. The HDL is responsible for protection of these arteries from tis accumulation. There is also another type called triglycerides who adds to this risk. Crestor works by lowering the LDL level inside the bodies and increasing the HDL level.
How to use Crestor?
Use Crestor only under doctor's supervision. The dosage amount depends on your age, your health condition and how you respond to the treatment.
Take the tablet orally, once in a day. It can be taken with or without food. Antacids may be taken if needed. But they should be taken at least two hours after the intake of Crestor.
The treatment may take three to four weeks. Hence do not leave the course incomplete or stop it without doctor’s approval. No harm is caused if you miss any dose. But see to it that you do not take extra doses to makeup with the missed ones.
Crestor should be stored at room temperature. Ensure that you keep it away from moisture and heat.
What Precautions should be taken when using Crestor?
• Crestor contains many inactive ingredients like magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, lactose monohydrate and many others. These ingredients can induce allergic reactions in our bodies. Hence, it is always advisable to inform your doctor regarding the same.
• People suffering from any kind of liver and/ or kidney disease should consult doctor before starting the medication.
• Inform your doctor or dentist about all medicines you have been prescribed in case you are having surgery.
• Alcohol use can cause serious liver problems. Hence avoid drinking alcoholic beverages.
• There is a potential of harm being caused to the baby. Hence consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
• Breastfeeding, too, should be done only on doctor’s approval.
What are the benefits of Crestor?
Among the many benefits this drug offers are:
• Crestor causes minimal or not side effects.
• Studies have shown that it is one of the most effective medications for lowering cholesterol.
• This drug has been approved by the FDA and hence, its safety is already established.
• This drug is economically priced making it easy for anyone to use it.
• It is easily available both online and offline.