Prandin (Repaglinide) – Medical Facts You Should Know
Repaglinide belongs to the family of medicines called meglitinides. It acts as an antidiabetic agent. It was discovered in the year 1983. It is sold under various brand names all over the world. GlucoNorm, Prandin, NovoNorm to name a few.
It got its approval from the FDA in the year 1997. Prandin is used for the treatment of diabetes (Type 2).
How To Use Prandin?
Consult your doctor before starting the medication. The dosage amount is dependent on your health condition and how you respond to the treatment.
Prandin should be taken orally, two to three times in a day. Ensure that you take this medicine at least 15 minutes before having your meals. Do not take this medicine in case you are skipping the meals.
Do check your sugar level in the blood and urine regularly. Do not stop the medication course or leave it in between. By doing this you will only prolong the medication period.
Do not take extra doses to make up with the missed ones.
Store the medicine at temperatures between 20 to 25 degrees C. Heat and moisture can have adverse effect on the medicine. Hence, ensure that you keep the medicine away from it.
Throw away the medicine after its expiry date.
What Precautions should be taken when using Prandin?
• Prandin is not recommended for patients under the age of 18 years and above 75 years.
• The medicine contains many inactive agents like maize starch, magnesium stearate, povidone and many others. It can induce allergic reactions in our bodies. Hence, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
• People suffering from liver and/ or kidney disorders must exercise caution before using this medicine.
• Alcohol is said to decrease the sugar content in the blood. Hence, alcohol consumption should be decreased during the medication period.
• Pregnant women must take this medicine only on doctor’s approval. There are chances that the diabetes might become worse during this stage.
• Consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding for the drug might be harmful for the baby.
• Follow the diet that your doctor advises.
What are the benefits of Prandin?
This drug offers many benefits among which some are listed below:
• Prandin is highly effective when compared to medicines of the same kind.
• It can also be given in combination with other medicines such as metformin for the treatment of diabetes.
• Since it is taken before the meals, it is convenient for use. You do not have to remember the dosage time.
• This is an FDA approved drug hence, its safety and efficacy has already been established.
• This drug is easily available both online and offline.