Zestril (Lisinopril) – Medical Facts You Need To Know About This ACE Inhibitor
Lisinopril belongs to a class of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme. The drug is primarily used in the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension), congestive heart failure, and to improve survival after heart attacks and also in preventing renal and retinal complications of diabetes.
Lisinopril is the generic name used for this class of drugs. Lisinopril was developed by Merck & Co., and is marketed worldwide as Prinivil or Tensopril, and by AstraZeneca as Zestril. The drug was approved for use in the United States in 1987 and is at present one of the most widely prescribed medications in medical practice, with more than 60 million prescriptions filled yearly.
How To Use The Drug
The starting dose of Zestril can be taken as 5 mg ever day, and dose range for treating heart failure is 5-20 mg daily. The prescribed amount can be increased by 10 mg every 2 weeks to achieve the maximum effect. However, dosages of the drug can vary depending upon the medical condition of the person. Therefore the drug should be taken exactly as directed by the doctor.
Overdose of the drug should be avoided as it may cause health problems.
Contraindications And Precautions
The medication should be stopped if there are symptoms or signs of an allergic reaction including feelings of swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, severe allergic reactions.
The medication should not be taken during pregnancy as it can cause injury or death to the unborn baby. You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to lisinopril or to any other ACE inhibitor, such as benazepril, captopril, enalapril etc.
If you have diabetes, do not use lisinopril together with any medication that contains aliskiren. There are certain drugs that can interact with Lisinopril. So, it is always advised to let the doctor know about other medications and drugs you are using.
5 Top Benefits Of Zestril
• It helps to control high blood pressure by reducing the production of angiotensin II, thereby relaxing arterial muscle and enlarging arteries.
• This reduces damage to the kidneys caused by the high blood pressure.
• It is one of the most widely prescribed medications which has been approved by FDA and is therefore safe to use.
• It is also effective in preventing renal and retinal complications of diabetes.
• It increases the flow of blood and oxygen to the heart, further improving the ability of the heart to pump blood.