Hyzaar: Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antihypertensive Drug
Hyzaar is primarily a hypertensive drug consisting of a combination of a diuretic and an angiotensin II receptor antagonist namely Hydrchlorothiazide and Losartan. Hydrochlorothiazide increases the formation of urine in the body thus getting rid of extra salts and Losartan dilates blood vessels to reduce blood pressure.
What Is This Drug?
Hyzaar is the trade name or marketing name of this drug the generic composition is hydrochlorothiazide and Losartan. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that excretes salts to prevent their accumulation and Losartan blocks angiotensin II receptor resulting in low levels of plasma angiotensin II thus inducing vasodilatation. The drug received its FDA approval in the year 1995.
What is it used for?
This drug is indicated in the following conditions:
• Can be used as a preventive treatment in people who are suspected to develop a stroke
• Can be used in some cases to treat cardiac failure
• It can prevent a heart attack
• Its use in treating kidney problems is forming the base of many clinical trials
How Do You Take This Drug?
Take this medicine around the same time everyday for best results. The normal average dose of Losartan is 25 mg to 50 mg per day and for hydrochlorothiazide it is 12.5 to 50 mg daily. The doses can range between these values depending on the condition and severity.
If any dose is missed it should be taken immediately but if it is near time for the next dose do not double your dose to compensate. Storage should be done in a cool and dry place at room temperature and do not freeze the drug.
This drug has been allotted a category D for use in pregnancy this designation implies that it is dangerous for an unborn baby.
This drug is contraindicated if you have had any sort of demonstrated allergy to either of the two components hydrochlorothiazide or Losartan.
This drug is contraindicated if you have severe renal impairment.
This drug is contraindicated for use in pregnancy.
Hyzaar should be used with caution in those who are taking any other diuretic or antihypertensive medication, those who are diabetic and those who may be on narcotic medications.
Benefits/advantages of this drug:
• Since it is a combination drug you don’t have to take two separate medicines
• The doses can be designed to match individual needs
• Losartan is an easily absorbed drug
• These drugs have very less effect on the pharmacokinetics of other drugs, thus they can be safely taken with other medicines
• The antihypertensive effects caused by Losartan remain present for a very long time sometimes up to a year.