Amaryl (Glimepiride) – Medical Facts You Should Know
Glimepiride is a sulfonylurea antidiabetic drug marketed by Sanofi-Aventis. Amaryl is used for controlling high blood sugar. This further reduces the risk of sexual dysfunction, kidney damage, nerve problems and many more problems.
The pancreas is responsible for creation of insulin, but sometimes due to some changes inside the body, the amount of insulin that is produced inside our body does not meet our body demands. Hence, some external source needs to be supplied. Amaryl does this work by helping pancreas to produce more insulin.
How To Use Amaryl?
It is advisable to consult doctor before starting the medication course. The dosage amount is based on your health condition and how you respond to the treatment. The medicine is available as tablets of 1 mg, 2 mg and 4 mg.
This medicine should be taken orally, once in a day. You can take it with breakfast or lunch. Take the tablet everyday at the same time. This will ensure even level of medicine in the blood.
Complete the entire medication course. Do not leave it incomplete or stop it without doctor’s approval. Check your sugar on regular basis. No harm is caused if you miss any dose. But ensure that you do not take extra doses in order to make up with the missed ones.
The medicine should be stored at temperatures between 15 to 30 degrees C. Ensure that you keep it away from heat and moisture.
Throw away the medicine after its expiry date.
What Precautions should be taken when using Amaryl?
• Inactive ingredients present in Amaryl like magnesium stearate, lactose, povidone and many others can induce allergic. Hence, inform your doctor about various allergies you have.
• People suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis should not use this medicine.
• Consult your doctor before using this medicine if you have any kind of thyroid, liver and/ or kidney disease.
• Alcohol can induce hypoglycemia. Hence drinking alcoholic beverages must be avoided.
• It is difficult to control sugar level in case you are suffering from any type of infection, fever or you have undergone any type of surgery. Hence informing your doctor about it is mandatory.
• Caution should be exercised when using this medicine with senior patients.
• Pregnant women must consult their doctor before using this medicine.
• Amaryl passes into breast milk. Hence, if you are breastfeeding consult your doctor.
• Follow the diet pattern as suggested by doctor.
What Is The Benefit Of Amaryl?
This drug offers many medications among which are the following:
• Amaryl is safe when used with other diabetes medications for treatment.
• This is an FDA approved drug and hence, already established as safe.
• This drug is very effective and offers minimum side effects.
• It is economically priced and easily available online and offline.