Tricor – Anti cholesterol agent
Tricor is the generic name of the chemical preparation fenofibrate and is used to control high levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood. If left uncontrolled these excess fat components could accumulate in blood vessels and disrupt blood flow. This is the first drug of choice for people at risk of heart disease.
Tricorwas initiated by Groupe Fournier SA and its patents were later sold to Abbott laboratories, which now hold the rights to market the brand. The drug has been approved by the FDA and is available in the form of 43 and 130 mg oral pills. Fenofibrate is a derivative of fibric acid and its helps in decreasing blood lipid levels by activating lipoproteins and decreasing Apo proteins in blood. It clearly clears blood of low density lipids and is indicated in the treatment of coronary heart disease.
How to use Tricor:
Tricor is best take exactly as prescribed and is to be taken exactly as indicated for the prescribed time. It is effective when taken with food or with just a glass of water. The drug is to be treated regularly. Complete course of the drug is to be completed as advice and is not to be clubbed with drugs such as colestipol, cholestyramine and colesevelam. It is important to get blood tests done frequently when a person is under treatment and the drug is to be protected from heat, light and moisture. Skipped medicines are to be taken immediately when remembered to maintain optimal blood cholesterol levels.
Precautions and contraindications of Tricor:
People who are allergic to fibrates should not use Tricor. Ascertain the medical history of diseases pertaining to gall bladder, kidney and liver with the physician before being prescribed for Tricor. It is not recommended to consume alcohol when continuing treatment with fibrates.
The drug is to be discontinued for a small duration before being posted for surgery. Tricor is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women as it could pass through breast milk. The drug interacts with other anti-cholesterol preparations and should not be taken together.
Benefits of Tricor:
• Tricor is the first treatment of choice of elevated blood cholesterol levels found in coronary problems.
• It is the preferred drug of choice when other anti-cholesterol medicines could harm clients with their serious side effects.
• It is the first treatment of choice for people with mixed hyper cholesterol levels.
• It has been proved that lowering blood cholesterol levels would work wonders in the treatment of inflammation of pancreas.
• Tricor not only alleviates the risk of heart attack but also help in controlling stroke attacks