Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) - Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
Duphaston, which is generically known as Dydrogesterone, is used in the treatment of a wide variety of health conditions related to progesterone deficiency. These are irregular menstrual, dysmenorrhoea, endometriosis, cycles, dysfunctional bleeding of uterus, infertility due to luteal insufficiency to name a few.
Generically known as Dydrogesterone, Duphaston was manufactured by Abbot (formerly Solvay Pharmaceuticals) and was first introduced in the market in the year 1961. It was first synthesized by Duphar in 1950s from where it draws its brand name, ‘Duphaston’.
This drug is also used for hormone replacement therapy. It is safe and does not produce any androgenic side effects.
How Do You Use Duphaston?
Always consult a doctor before taking any type of medication. This medication should be taken strictly as prescribed by the doctor since the dosage amount depends on the type of deficiency. For example, for irregular menstrual cycles, you need to take 10 mg dose twice a day, everyday from day 11 to day 25 of menstrual cycle where as it is different for infertility due to luteal insufficiency.
It is usually taken on selected days during the menstrual cycle. Here, also the type of disorder being treated for comes into play.
Duphaston should be taken orally with a glass of water. Take tablets at the same time of the day. You can have it before or after food.
The entire treatment course is usually 6 t 12 months long. It is not recommended for the girls below 18 years of age.
Store the drug away from sunlight and moisture and in the temperatures not more than 30 degree C.
What Precautions Should Your Take?
• You mustn’t take Duphaston if you are suffering from blood clotting problems. Your doctor would most likely adjust the prescription accordingly.
• The intake of this medicine during pregnancy is contraindicated.
• If breastfeeding consult your doctor before taking Duphaston as it crosses into the milk and may affect the baby..
• Avoid Duphaston if you had a miscarriage.
• You musn’t take the medicine if you have any liver or gall bladder diseases.
• Duphaston medication should be terminated if you suffer from breast cancer, cancer in genitals or some other form of estrogen dependent cancer.
Benefits of Duphaston
There are many benefits you could enjoy from this all natural medication.
- Duphaston regulates menstrual bleeding which helps some women to have more regular and pain free periods.
- It also helps in breast develpoment.
- The risk of abortion is also minimized with the usage of Duphaston.