DDAVP (Desmopressin) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
Desmopressin is a synthetic hormone that is used to reduce excess urine production in humans. It is used for treating bedwetting, diabetes insipidus and/ or nocturia. It is manufactured by a pharmaceutical company Sanofi Aventis and was approved by FDA in the year 1978.
It is sold under various brand names like DDAVP, Minirin, DesmoMelt and so on.
How to use DDAVP?
Use DDAVP only under medical supervision. The dosage amount is based on your health conditions and how you respond to the treatment. DDAVP is available as tablets, injections and nasal solution.
If you are being treated for diabetes insipidus, then you have to take this medication orally, usually two to three times in a day. In case you are being treated for bedwetting, the medicine should be taken only once. Take it before you go to bed. Ensure that you drink lesser amounts of water and other fluids.
No harm is caused if you miss a dose. Do not take extra doses in order to make up with the missed ones.
Do not leave the course incomplete or stop it in between without doctor’s approval. There are situations where the symptoms are improved but the disease is not actually cured.
The medicine should be stored at temperatures between 20 to 25 degrees C. Ensure that you keep it away from light and moisture.
What Precautions should be taken when using DDAVP?
• Inform your doctor if you have any allergies. The medicine contains many inactive ingredients that may induce allergic reactions in your body.
• People suffering from any kind of kidney disease and/ or hyponatremia should not take this medicine.
• It is better to consult your doctor if you have a history of any heart related problems, bleeding or clotting problems, high blood pressure and the like.
• Alcohol will lower the effectiveness of this medicine. Hence, limit the consumption of alcoholic beverages while on this medication.
• The medicine is mainly excreted through urine. Hence, caution should be exercised when using this medicine with elderly people.
• Consult your doctor before starting this medication in case you are pregnant.
• Usually, many drugs pass into breast milk. Hence consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
What are the benefits of DDAVP?
• DDAVP can be use for the treatment of congenital bleeding disorders in pregnant women.
• It can be used for the treatment or hemophilia in children.
• It can also be used to stop excessive bleeding.
• This is an FDA approved drug.
• This drug can be purchased easily both online and offline.