Lipitor (Atorvastatin) – Statin
Atorvastatin is an oral drug that is used to reduce the cholesterol in the blood. This is turn will prevent the occurrence of heart attack and stroke. This drug can be safely used by patients suffering from type 2 diabetes and coronary heart diseases. This life saving drug is marketed by Pfizer, which is a leading and reputed an American pharmaceutical company.
The credit of developing Atorvastatin goes to Bruce Roth. This medication has marked the history of pharmaceuticals by maintaining the status of best selling drug in the world for more than a decade. This drug which was approved by FDA in 1996 has benefitted millions of people all over the USA and the world.
This drug is also used to treat to regulate the amount of the lipids, prevent and treat cardiovascular diseases caused are often caused due to overweight, unhealthy diet and lack of exercise.
How To Use Atorvastatin?
This medication is taken orally, with or without food or as recommended by the physician.
Dosage of Atorvastatin depends on the medical history, response towards treatment and age of the patient. The initial dose is 10-20 mg, which can be increased to 80 mg once in a day. The amount of the drug also depends of the percentage of cholesterol in the body. This medication is not recommended for the children below 10 years.
• You should not take this medication if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
• Eating grapefruit or drinking its juice must be avoided during the treatment.
• If you have any kind of liver disease, avoid this medicine.
• Meals high on cholesterol or fat must be avoided. A healthy diet is recommended to reduce the risk of bad cholesterol formation.
• If you are taking the treatment, then alcohol beverages must not be taken.
• Smoking also should be avoided.
5 top benefits of Atorvastatin
• This is a very efficient medication for lowering cholesterol levels.
• Atorvastatin taken with healthy diet will often prevent the necessity for heart and related surgery. This drug also reduces the risk for heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure.
• The drug is available world-wide, so you just need to reach your nearest pharmacist or order online.
• This is FDA approved drug and hence, you can use it safely.
• Regular use – as prescribed by the doctor – of this drug can reduce the risk of fatalities due to stroke and/ or heart attack.